[fedora-virt] clarifying the fedoraproject wiki "qemu/kvm" features page

Glauber Costa glommer at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 17:38:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:23:40PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:16:18PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >  i'd like to clarify a couple things here, if i might:
> > >
> > >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge
> > >
> > >  first, given that that page refers to being 100% done WRT f11,
> > >should it represent *exactly* what i see on my current f11 beta
> > >system?  as in, no outstanding issues?
> > >
> > >  next, under "Detailed Description", point 5:
> > >
> > >  "The kvm package is obsoleted by qemu-kvm."
> > >
> > >can i assume that "qemu-kvm" is a typo as there appears to be no such
> > >package?  what *should* that say?  perhaps "qemu-kvm-tools?"
> > >
> > >  i have a few more questions about the merging of qemu and kvm but
> > >i'm going to have to think about those for a few more minutes.
> > >

> > Could it have been made more obscure?  So now we have to install three
> > qemu packages and three bios packages instead of qemu and kvm?
>
> That's just a package management tooling problem.
>
> If you use yum, or PackageKit, life is improved because you only have
> to install *1*  package  per architecture you want:
>
>    yum install qemu-system-x86
>

> which pulls in all the other bits via dependancies. No one is seriously
> expecting people to go around doing 'rpm -ivh ' on individual RPMs anymore
> as its just a complete waste of time
It is also expected to happen automatically via comp groups if you want to
install "Virtualization". Upgrade from F10 -> F11 is also expected to work
out of the box (please report any bugs!)

For qemu, it has the nice side effect of not pulling firmwares and binaries
for architectures emulators you don't want.

It does not introduce a init script for qemu linux user emulator if you are
just using system emulator.

So despite of your concern that Dan already addressed, I believe the situation
improved quite a bit as a whole.