[fedora-virt] question - installation speed F11 Beta VM on F11 Beta physical

mike.hinz at yr20.com mike.hinz at yr20.com
Thu Apr 9 17:54:36 UTC 2009

Mark,

I'm sure that my config is correct.  The cpu is a very recent Xeon and I've turned on VT support in the bios.  I'm including the relevent tests, at least as I understand them, to make sure I'm running the correct stuff.  FYI, I installed the VM via virt-manager version 0.7.0.

The installation of F11 on the guess still appears to me to be extremely slow, but it appears to be using the network versus the physical DVD, for the most part.  Additionally I see some different dialog during the installation on the VM versus on a physical machine.  It asks for some info about Ethernet and IP config that doesn't seem to happen on the physical machine.   Then I can clearly see the DVD hardly being accessed while the network activity is going crazy during the installation.  Furhter info:  When the installation is done on the VM, F11 is completely up to date!!  This makes me think that somehow the issue is that the installaion on the VM is network based, after initially happening from the DVD.  Also, just fyi, I've tried both a bridged network and the default NAT connectivity with absolutely no difference.

Thanks for your help on this!

Here's some output from /proc/cpuinfo:

[root at vmh2 qemu]# grep -E 'svm|vmx' /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx esttm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

Here's the output of lsmod

[root at vmh2 qemu]# lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel              47880  3
kvm                   152184  1 kvm_intel

Here's what virsh thinks is going on:

[root at vmh2 qemu]# virsh capabilities | grep kvm
      <domain type='kvm'>
        <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>
      <domain type='kvm'>
        <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator

Finally, here's the first part of the guest's log file.  Please note that the 'ballon' info is repeated literally thousands of times in the log, so I'm only including the very top of the file:

LC_ALL=C PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc -m 4000 -smp 1 -name vm1 -uuid 5e738733-04
e7-2eaf-f1fa-0f09865d53d5 -monitor pty -pidfile /var/run/libvirt/qemu//vm1.pid -no-reboot -boot d -drive file=/de
v/sr0,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=2 -drive file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/vm1.img,if=virtio,index=0 -net nic,macaddr=5
4:52:00:70:ca:09,vlan=0,model=virtio -net tap,fd=20,script=,vlan=0,ifname=vnet0 -serial pty -parallel none -usb -
usbdevice tablet -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -k en-us -soundhw es1370
char device redirected to /dev/pts/2
char device redirected to /dev/pts/3
ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

file mcoputils.cc: line 499 (static std::string Arts::MCOPUtils::mcopDirectory()): assertion failed: (home != 0)
HOME environment variable not set?
info cpus
* CPU #0: pc=0x00000000000ffff0 thread_id=29781
cont
balloon 4000
info balloon
balloon: actual=4000