[fedora-virt] qemu user emulation test package, and is GUEST_BASE broken?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Apr 9 23:13:49 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>

>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:50 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>> moving on, i'm continuing to document QEMU on f11 here:
>>>
>>>   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU_on_Fedora_11
>>>
>>> and i have (unsurprisingly) a couple of questions.
>>>
>> Interestingly, a lot of what you're documenting here is quite the
>> opposite to what we want "Fedora virtualization experience" to be e.g.:
>>
>>   - Users shouldn't necessarily need to know what QEMU is - using
>>     virt-manager and virsh more or less makes what hypervisor is
>>     underneath not terribly important
>>
>>   - We'd recommend people do "yum install Virtualization" rather than
>>     manually installing individual RPMs
>>
>>   - We don't see "user emulation mode" as being very important - I'd
>>     really be very surprised if many people use it
>>
>>   - We think virt-manager is a much more useful tool for most people
>>     than qemu-launcher
>>

>   i actually think you're right, i'm using my wiki as a scratchpad and
> will almost certainly rethink things and toss stuff as i realize i'm
> going in the wrong direction.
>
>   on the other hand, while it's nice to have a graphical front-end for
> things like this to hide the underlying complexity, there have been a
> number of times where i've wanted to see what was going on "under the
> hood," as it were.  particularly when i'm debugging.
>
>   i may very well end up deciding that this wasn't the right way to
> approach this and toss the whole thing.  i just like to have at least
> a minimal understanding of how things work behind the scenes.  but
> your point is well taken.

Thanks, the behind the scenes is important. For some people the canned
tools are fine, while others hit the limitations right away, wanting to
use some feature which the GUI author felt was not important.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
    - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.