[fedora-virt] i8042.c: No controller found

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:56:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> I doubt this message is your problem, see e.g.
>
>  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/440470
>
> It's just that that message is printed using KERN_ERR instead of
> KERN_WARN or KERN_INFO.

No, that bugzilla report is for a machine that has a USB keyboard, so
the warning didn't matter.  Running lsusb in my guest shows that there
are no USB devices.  I see this in dmesg after a successful boot (I
can't copy&paste out of the guest, so pardon any typos):

PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:KBD,PNP0f13:MOU] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input0

So the i8042 is handling both keyboard and mouse input for the guest OS.

Here's another clue: if I leave the host's focus in the guest window
while the guest reboots, I never have this problem.  It's only when I
get impatient and switch to another window to do something that the
problem occurs.
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/