[fedora-virt] reporting virtualization bugs

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 18:41:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 01:55:27PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   some random thoughts, possibly related to this page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reporting_virtualization_bugs#Is_My_Guest_Using_KVM.3F
>
> 1) somewhere near the front, i might suggest running any or all of the
> following:
>
>   $ lsmod | grep kvm
>   $ ls -l /dev/kvm
>   $ ls -l /sys/class/misc/kvm
>
>   in case that needs to be reported.

IMHO, the first thing that should be checked is the libvirt capabilities
output, because ultimately whether you can provision KVM guests with
libvirt is determined by whether its listed in the capabilities.

If it is not listed in the capabilities, only then go looking at other
stuff in the FS.

> 2) would it be possible to have the actual, underlying qemu-related
> commands added to the guest log file?  i recall watching the output of
> "ps -ef" when i was installing a guest once, and was curious about the
> lengthy invocation of qemu-kvm that was doing all of the work.  having
> a record of that actual command would be spectacularly handy, as well
> as having any other initialization commands, like qemu-img.  is any of
> that already stored somewhere?  (it occurs to me that much of that
> might be in XML form and available with "virsh dumpxml Guest").

The ARGV & ENV is already logged in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/$GUEST.log

The next libvirt release will also have a command to export libvirt XML as
a QEMU argv,  'virsh export-domxml XMLFILE' will show the ARGV that
libvirt would use for that XML config.

Daniel