[fedora-virt] guestfish, libguestfs, ext4 and bad perms on /dev/kvm

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 06:29:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:22:13AM +0200, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> Thanks for this update, but autodetection does not work for me.
> I have an fedora.i386 system installed on my machine and autodetection tests
> only x86_64. Can you please add i386 or x86 arch?

You've actually got an i386 machine which supports KVM?  They are very
rare.  In fact I have one too, but they were only produced for a few
months (a tiny number of Intel Core 1 microprocessors).

Upstream KVM has stopped supporting i386 and now only supports x86-64,
which is why I didn't bother detecting KVM on anything which isn't
x86-64.

Or are you running an i386 kernel on an x86-64 machine?  Not sure
whether or not KVM can work in this case.

> /autogen.sh --with-java-home=no --with-qemu=/usr/bin/qemu-kvm
[...]
> But --with-qemu=qemu-kvm works.

This seems to be a problem with the AC_PATH_PROG macro.  Just use the
latter and it should be OK.

You can also do things like:

  ./configure --with-qemu="qemu-kvm qemu"

which will try looking for qemu-kvm first, and qemu second.

Rich.