[fedora-virt] Am I using kvm?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 17:00:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:54:15PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> That is the question :-).
>
> I've used virt-manager on f11 to create a VM where I am at the moment
> installing an f11 vm, but I don't see the string "kvm" in anything
> involved in this VM. How can I tell what kind of emulation is being
> used for the machine? (Shouldn't that be mentioned in the Details
> tab somewhere?)
>
> The machine is a xeon system where "vmx" does show up in /proc/cpuinfo
> and lsmod shows a "kvm" module. Is it just a given that I will
> therefore be using kvm? The only "Virt Type" I was offered by
> virt-manager when doing the install was "qemu".

It would have offered you 'kvm' is that was available, so you'll be
using QEMU.   You want to check 'virsh capabilities' to verify that
libvirt actually detected presence of KVM.  'virsh dumpxml GUEST'
should also show  type='kvm' and <emulator> pointing go qemu-kvm if
virt-manager actually requested it.

Daniel