[fedora-virt] stop ksm on the fly?

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sat Dec 19 13:47:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 08:18:35PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I see ksmd using 60% cpu on my kvm host which is running
> many different totally different linux distros as KVMs.
> It seems likely to me that ksm will be of no value on this
> machine, and I could use the cpu time for the VMs themselves :-).
>
> My question is this: Can I stop ksmd without breaking the
> existing VMs? What is the best way to turn it off
> "on the fly"? (Or is "service ksmd stop" perfectly
> safe)?

Perfectly safe - as long as you have enough memory. Otherwise, the VMs
might start swapping to disk which may be even worse than what you have
now.

Now since there's still to be desired in ksmtune, would you give some
info about your system (total ram, number and sizes of VMs, and `more
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/*`)

Regards,
Dan.