[fedora-virt] libguestfs tests running much slower

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Jul 1 17:39:13 UTC 2009

Matthew Booth wrote:
> This is only subjective, and could yet be something entirely random on
> my machine. However, I just pulled changes
> 3d15f7e652340777514ff30c3cfc560a90b612ec..99e28249d52ca5495b636e14ae3e4387ee62c8fe
> and now 'make check' runs a *lot* slower. I'm guessing maybe 5-10
> times slower. Is it just me?

Hi Matt,

I've noticed that some programs (thinking of one of augeas' self tests,
in particular) can take far longer when there is limited memory than
when they don't hit the limit.

For example, one "make check" test takes just 5 seconds most of the
time, but occasionally it takes 30s on an idle system.  strace -c
showed that in that case, most of the time was spent in the many
sbrk syscalls.