Re: [fedora-virt] libguestfs under Debian / Ubuntu

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 06:09:50PM +0200, Tim Tassonis wrote:
Hi all

Just came across libguestfs and, as a qemu user, this project really sound fantastic to me.

However, when I tried to compile the latest tarball, I failed, mainly because of the inavalability of febootstrap, which obviously does not exist under ubuntu, and cannot be installed due to the lack of yum under ubuntu at least.

Even though Debian/Ubunut use APT for their package mgmt system, there
should not be any problem installing the YUM + RPM libraries. This should allow febootstrap to be built & run, and not impact your host OS package mgmt

Yes, of course....but since it is mentioned that febootstrap is based on debootstrap, is there a technical reason for not just supporting debootstrap alternatively. I haven't got enough background regarding debootstrap/febootstrap and libguestfs to make a judgement about this though.

But to require any distribution to install yum/rpm just for this library seems a bit intrusive to me. Requiring a specific distro packaging system for a package seems a bit distribution dependant to me.

Regards
Tim