[fedora-virt] libguestfs under Debian / Ubuntu

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 20:44:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 06:09:50PM +0200, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just came across libguestfs and, as a qemu user, this project really
> sound fantastic to me.
>
> However, when I tried to compile the latest tarball, I failed,  mainly
> because of the inavalability of febootstrap, which obviously does not
> exist under ubuntu, and cannot be installed due to the lack of yum under
> ubuntu at least.

yum, rpm and febootstrap _are_ in Debian (as of last week), so it'll
be in Ubuntu soon enough.

I've got some packages of febootstrap and libguestfs which you can try
here:

http://www.annexia.org/tmp/debian/

The febootstrap package is reasonable.  The libguestfs packaging is a
bit crap, although it does work.

> Is debian support planned, or is libguestfs designed to be a fedora-only
> project?

We definitely want to support other distros (not just Debian).

Guido Gunter, who I think is on this list, contacted me about doing a
pure Debian port of libguestfs using debootstrap.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v