Re: [fedora-virt] libguestfs under Debian / Ubuntu

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 01:14:07AM +0200, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Daniel P. Berrange<berrange redhat com> wrote:
> >
> > that repo. libguestfs uses a febootstrap to install a custom Fedora 11
> > appliance which it boots within QEMU in order to access the filesystems.
>
> If the sole purpose of febootstrap is to install a custom F11
> appliance to boot in qemu, why don't we prepare this image beforehand,
> put it somewhere on the web, so that libguestfs can just use it
> without needing to build this appliance again in each machine with
> febootstrap or debootstrap?

Providing pre-built binary OS images gets you into potentially complicated
license compliance issues. You as distributor of the binary have to comply
with the license of every single piece of software that went into the
binary. For the Fedora Project distributing a binary image of a Fedora
distro, compliance is easy because Fedora already ships all source RPMs.
If a non-Fedora entity wants to ships binaries of Fedora it needs to make
sure it can provide the corresponding source. It is not clearcut that it
can rely on Fedora to always ship the sources for it.  The safe option is
to always build from source and distribute everything you used to build
yourself. This is actually an argument *for* Debian using debootstrap
against a Debian repo, rather Debian using feboiotstrap+YUM + Fedora repos.

I see the situation. This binary distro download may also create a licensing problem for our Pardus distro. I guess this leaves the following options:
1- package yum and febootstrap for Pardus and use them
2- create a "pabootstrap" package compatible with febootstrap and build a Pardus appliance instead of fedora appliance
3- create a pre-cooked "compatible" pardus appliance image and use this one

For the last option, does it make any difference which distro is inside the appliance? Is there anything specific to Fedora? say, if we support all possible file system drivers as well as raid/lvm, would it still be needed to have Fedora inside? Is there a requirements documents for this appliance?

Thanks a lot again for your patience for my never-ending questions, I really appreciate and learn a lot from you guys.

Br,
Emre