Notes on building libguestfs on RHEL 5 (was: Re: [fedora-virt] libguestfs on non-Fedora targets)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 6 13:32:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 01:40:12PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>   ./febootstrap centos-5 c5 http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5.3/os/i386/

This works perfectly.  Barring the known problems with the version of
fakechroot being used, such as error "/etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied"
which are all non-fatal.

(7) Size of centos-5 @Core febootstrapped installation:

  $ du -sh c5
  414M       c5

(8) Proceed to building libguestfs.  I had to install a few
dependencies such as OCaml, java-devel, ruby-devel, perl-devel,
python-devel, etc.

(9) Build libguestfs from git repo.  Since I haven't installed
febootstrap, I need to adjust the PATH to use my compiled-but-not-
installed version.  Also disable the qemu vmchannel test since we'll
be using a custom-built qemu later.  We also have to set the appliance
parameters so that we end up with a CentOS 5.3-derived appliance.

  PATH=../febootstrap:$PATH \
    vmchannel_test=no \
    ./autogen.sh \
      --with-repo=centos-5 \
      --with-mirror=http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5.3/os/i386/ \
      --with-updates=none

[More to follow ...]

Fedora now supports 75 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)