[fedora-virt] Guest kernel hanging at '...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...'

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 13 09:20:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 09:48:58AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 23:16 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > > Last time I saw this error was due a KVM build problem causing it to
> > > use the wrong BIOS. ie it was using the plain QEMU bios, instead of the
> > > KVM modified bios.
> >
> > I've never had this error happening on my local machines.  However
> > this situation is a bit confusing - this is running in Koji, where the
> > kernel is RHEL 5.(?), I believe the whole thing is running in Xen, and
> > the userspace is QEMU from Rawhide.
>
> As Daniel says, I've seen this happen when /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin was
> the stock bochs BIOS and not the KVM specific BIOS.
>
> Sounds like the kvm-85 build recently pushed to devel/ is busted.

I installed that version of qemu-kvm and tested it, and it seems
to be using:

/usr/share/qemu/bios.bin
/usr/share/qemu/vgabios-cirrus.bin

which I'm guessing is the wrong one.  How does it choose the right
BIOS to use? (assuming the -L flag is not set)

Also does it make a difference if qemu-kvm falls back to software
emulation mode, which is likely to be the case for my Koji build.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v