[fedora-virt] a few comment about the current virt pacakges

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 22 11:33:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 01:23:06PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:23:01AM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> >> - libvirt BR qemu. why? which require all qemu package which require
> >> openbios-ppc, vgabios, bochs-bios-data, etherboot-*. so this is a
> >> dependency hell. imho it'd be useful to clean up!
> >
> > The build process wants QEMU so its a BR. There is no dependancy hell
> > here unless you're using the wrong tools. mock trivially pull in the
> > chain of deps as needed during build, so there's nothing to 'clean up'.
>
> i can't build (since i don't have ppc) but i need it for qemu-system-ppc
> which is needed by qemu which is needed by libvirt:-(
> are you sure all of these req and br are required?

You're not making any sense here. You don't need a ppc host, to build
qemu-system-ppc. All host architectures can build all QEMU targets,
you're not restricted to matching host & qemu target, with the exception
of KVM.

> >> - this /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml makes me crazy. since blow
> >> up my current guest's configs:-(((
> >
> > That will only be created if it doesn't exist, so it will not impact
> > things unless you have created another network with a clashing IP
> > address range, which is trivially avoidable.
>
> but if it's not exist then it's created and all guest will suddenly have
> a new interface which may interfere with the existing network which is
> very hard to find the reason!:-(

This only creates a bridge on the host. No guest is connected to this
bridge unless you configure it that way. So merely having the config
does not affect existing guests

Daniel