[fedora-virt] Best Way To Install Ubuntu 8.10 (AMD64) Guest?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun May 24 08:15:58 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 03:19:26PM -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a fully updated Fedora 11 with Virtualization. My laptop is a
> Dell Latitude E6400, 4 Gb of memory, Intel P9500 dual core processor
> with virtualization support.
>
> I want to install Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop (AMD64) as a guest in Fedora. What
> is the easiest way of installing it such that I have internet access,
> USB, and possibly RS-232 serial port access?

You can install Ubuntu easily from the live CD.  Download the ISO from
here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

then start up virt-manager and click through to install a new guest
from an ISO.  Alternately you can do it from virt-install, something
along these lines:

lvcreate -L 10G -n Ubuntu VG
virt-install -v -n Ubuntu \
  --accelerate -r 512 \
  -c /tmp/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso  -f /dev/VG/Ubuntu

Rich.

Fedora now supports 75 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)