[fedora-virt] Re: virt-inspector calling guestfs_umount_all() before launch()?

Charles Duffy charles at dyfis.net
Thu May 28 14:40:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> > Running with LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1, it appears that this happened due to
> > the guest trying to do ext3 journal recovery against a read-only image.
>
> ext3 tries to do a journal recovery if we mount -o ro ?

Yup. Quoting from Stephen Tweedie's ext3 readme:

If you use an older version of e2fsck from e2fsprogs-1.17 or later, then
you can now run e2fsck quite happily on the filesystem, but *only as
long as the filesystem was unmounted cleanly*.  If it wasn't, then
you'll need to get the kernel code to recover the journal from the disk
by mounting the filesystem *(even a readonly mount will cause a journal
recovery to happen)* and umounting it again (or, for the root filesystem,
remounting it readonly with "mount -o remount,ro /").

But using snapshots actually isn't such a bad idea.  Also works with
> previous and current versions of qemu too.

It'd almost be tempting to provide optional support for snapshots in
read-write mode, letting the user do a commit to persist their changes or to
exit without one to discard them.