[fedora-virt] wireless network connectivity

Paul Lambert eb30750 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 18:46:27 UTC 2009

I need some feedback as to what could be the source of my wireless
connectivity for FE-12.  Previously, there were some serious problems with
the wireless network software as well as the user interface using FE-12.  In
general, these issues have been corrected.

The problem I now see is dropped connections.  This could be due to failure
to re-authenticate or something in the driver.  I mostly see this problem
when connecting to a Linksys WRT160N.  However, once the problem is observed
the FE-12 will not reconnect to any wireless router unless I logoff and then
log back on.  Or, simply reboot the computer.

It should be noted that the WRT160N has been plagued by software problems.
In fact, you can buy an entire new OS for these and many problems go away.
I using v3 the latest from Linksys for this device.  For the most part when
I connect to a WRT54G I do not see these problems.

Scenario:
After bootup the computer will connect to the WRT160N and communicate as
expected.  The longer I stayed connected the slower the response gets.
Eventually, when executing an "arp -a" command the system will return the
MAC address with a <incomplete> instead of the IP address for the router.
The computer's IP address 192.168.1.100 and the router is 10.10.10.1.  At
this point attempting to connect to a different router (WRT54G) does not
work either.  Only a logout or reboot corrects the problem.

I am using WPA & WPA2 Personal authentication whereas the WRT54G uses WEP.
I am hesitant to file a bug report due to the possibility the root problem
is not in FE-12.  However, the fact that the FE-12 network drive does not
recover indicates something is not quite right.

Thanks

PJAL