[fedora-virt] <Hostdevice> parameters

Andrés García andres at verot.com
Thu Oct 1 17:37:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

I want to set up wo virtual WinXP machines to act as licence managers
for a couple of CAD/CAM programs.

With the first one, everything went well, but when I got the second one
to work, the virtual machines got confused, as if they didn't know which
was their dongle.

I think it is because in their definition files there is something like:

	<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb'>
	<source>
	<vendor id='0x1234'/>
	<product id='0xbeef'/>
	</source>
	</hostdev>

The vendor and product ids are the same in both cases.

I saw in the docs that I can't change it to:

	<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='sub'>
	<source>
	<address bus='0x06' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
	</source>
	</hostdev>

'bus' and 'slot' I can get with 'lsusb', but what does 'function' mean?

Thanks,
Andrés