[fedora-virt] USB passthrough and disconnect

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:36:02 UTC 2009

Hello,
following the instructions at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-June/msg00182.html

I'm able to attach an USB key to my Windows XP SP3 guest.
More better, I'm able to attach and use it with the guest already started.
Very good!
(Actually I don't have SElinux enabled so I skipped what related to it )

The doubt is, when in Windows I then safely remove the key and get the ok
msg from the os, if I try to hot remove the USB device in details windows of
the guest I receive the message that will be effective after reboot.
Is this expected and the hot unplug a feature next to come, or do I miss
anything in correct way to do things?

My sw versions for host are F11 x86_64 with up2date rawvirt repo:
libvirt-0.7.1-11.fc11.x86_64
qemu-kvm-0.11.0-6.fc11.x86_64
virt-manager-0.8.0-7.fc11.noarch

Suppose the message is correct behaviour based on current state of things,
what would be correct approach if during a vm session I use several usb keys
for example?
1) insert first usb key in host
2) add hw of first usb key in details tab of guest
3) use it in guest and at the end disconnect it from inside guest OS
4) remove hw in details tab of guest; confirming that this will overwrite
any othe rchanges occured in guest config....
5) remove key form host usb plug
6) insert second usb key in host
7) add hw of second usb key in details tab of guest
8) use it in guest and at the end disconnect it from inside guest OS
9) ? If I do same as 4 do I loose the action made in 4) ??

Do I have to remove more hw components together only at the end? Any removal
will let forget the previous ones?
It seems not clear to me this message about

"
This device could not be removed from the running machine. Would you like to
remove the device after the next VM shutdown?
Warning: this will overwrite any other changes that require a VM reboot.
"

This is true for more than one usb key, but also for more than one device in
general....

Thanks in advance,
Gianluca