[fedora-virt] 'eject' on a KVM guest

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Oct 19 13:38:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 09:35:04AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 10/19/2009 05:47 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> > What does the eject (to eject a CD) command do to a KVM guest? It
> > succeeds, and the result is that the device can no longer be mounted.
> > However, looking at the domain XML reveals it hasn't disconnected the
> > backing file.
> >
> > Matt
>
> It should be the equivalent of ejecting a CD or floppy on a physical
> machine.
>
> If you do this through libvirt (with the attach-device command and
> suitable XML string), then the change should be reflected in the XML.
>
> If you managed to send a monitor command to the KVM guest that didn't go
> through libvirt, the change wouldn't be reflected in the domain XML for
> the majority of operations (media eject included).

I think the problem Matt sees is from running 'eject' inside the guest.
libvirt will not see that, because KVM has no way to notify us that the
guest ejected the media.

Fortunately, the new KVM monitor control protocol includes support for
this notification, so we'll be able to address this limitation in the
future.

Daniel