[fedora-virt] virbr0 messing with iptables rules?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Wed Oct 21 11:47:52 UTC 2009

Hi

I just did a full system update on my F11 server, but after a reboot,
new rules were appended to my iptables setup.

The iptables and ip6tables services are both disabled:
# chkconfig |grep ip.*tables
ip6tables       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
iptables        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

I set my iptables rules in a custom firewall script in /etc/rc.local,
which starts out by flushing all rules.
Eg. if I run the script manually after boot, it will "fix" the issue.

The extra rules appended are:
-----
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:domain
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp
dpt:bootps
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:bootps

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             192.168.122.0/24    state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  192.168.122.0/24     anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
-----

I suppose that these rules are related to libvirt, since I have a
virbr0 interface with the IP-address 192.168.122.1. Apparently the
update changed something, so these firewall rules are appended after
/etc/rc.local runs my custom firewall script.

What is the correct solution to this? In general, isn't it a bad
design decision to have a service mess with the iptables rules,
instead of doing this through the iptables/ip6tables services? I would
not expect other services to mess with my rules, when I explicitly
disabled the build-in iptables services.

I only use bridged networking for my virtual machines, so I don't
suppose that I need the virbr0 interface after all. Can I disable it
somewhere?

Best Regards
Kenni Lund