[fedora-virt] virtio block driver performance versus ide

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 15:01:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:58:10AM -0600, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> Wow, the rotational change greatly speeds up my vms, as much as 15 fold.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a complete n00b, is there a way to persistently
> change the settings in /sys? I am of course familiar with the sysctl.conf
> for /proc/sys. Or is this something that should be changed at the driver
> level?

It has apparently already been changed (see the new kernels in that
Bugzilla entry).

In any case, you can't make the change permanent, but you can add the
commands to /etc/rc.local so they get executed at each guest boot
which has just about the same effect.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html