[fedora-virt] Fedora 12 host and windowsXP guest - No Sound from guest

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 21:39:07 UTC 2010

On 01/06/2010 10:40 AM, Daniel Sanabria wrote:
> Thanks Cole,
>
> with your comments things are starting to make a bit more of sense to me.
>
> So I now see 2 options:
>
>    1. start qemu with the user account which will potentially mean to stop
>    using virt-manager

This has networking caveats. If you run the qemu binary directly as a
regular user, the easiest setup is -net user, which doesn't actually
have full networking capabilities. You'll want to study up before you
take this route.

>    2. Install/compile the gtk-vnc version that support the audio extension
>    (only if it's already available)

Unfortunately that code isn't upstream yet. I know Dan Berrange has
something working to a degree, but it hasn't been posted yet.

> Could you provide some guidance on how to approach any of these options?
> i.e. How can I start qemu and the guest manually without using virt-manager?
> or is there gtk-vnc version available that supports the audio extension?

You can also try to use SDL for graphics rather than VNC. This has some
caveats: no remote access via libvirt, the SDL console will pop up
outside of virt-manager, and when the SDL window closes the guest will
be forcibly powered off. I haven't tried this, but AFAIK sound should
work. You can try changing the sdl audio backend in
/etc/sysconfig/libvirtd from 'pa' (pulseaudio) to something else if you
have issues.

Hope that helps,
Cole