Fedora front page

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Dec 1 00:18:08 UTC 2005

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 13:52 -0500, Diana Fong wrote:
>

>> - "Get Fedora" ... can also do with or without the period.
>>

> It was Paul who made the point originally, and I was certain that it was
> a specific GNOME documentation style guide.  You may not know, but in
> FDP we specify this order for deciding style:
>
> 1. Chicago Manual of Style
> 2. GNOME Documentation Style Guide
> 3. Fedora Documentation Guide
>
> That is, we default to 1, then 2, and note exceptions in 3.  This is
> typical of writing projects, having a canonical reference outside of the
> project, and noting project rules and exceptions in a style guide.
>
> So, it may be a CMS recommendation that I can't look up.  It is not,
> unfortunately, specified in the GNOME guide ... but, if you look at the
> ToC for that guide, you won't see a title or heading with a period in
> it:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/index.html
>
> We will be sure to include this rule in the next version of the Fedora
> Documentation Guide.  For now, I'll just ask all to remember that we
> don't put periods in titles.  FWIW, Mozilla didn't either with "Get
> Firefox".
>
> - Karsten

The question I would like to raise is this:  Is it a title, or is it an
introductory statement?

I agree that a period does not belong in a title, but it does belong in
an introductory statement.  We simply have to decide which one this is.
When I was coming up with the design for the current front page, I tried
both ways.  The current result presents it as a title, without a
period.  The design I have produced as a prototype uses it more as an
introductory statement, in which a period would belong.  How do we want
to use it?

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com