Idea / Suggestion

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:11:45 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:

> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
> > Hello to all.
> >
> > Just two ideas I wanted to put forward for discussion:
> >
> > 1) Setting up of mailing list searching facilities to
> > fedoraproject.org <http://fedoraproject.org> to better search the list
> > archives. I have seen calls for better search capabilities of the
> > archives numerous times on the mailing lists for Fedora. I would
> > suggest setting up a system to archive, search, rate (mod), and maybe
> > even allow for batch download of archive for offline viewing.
>
> What software is available for this?

I know of none such, yet at least.

> > 2) Setting up of a system to log and search chatter from the IRC
> > channels for later use.
>
> This would help - http://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/. In python of course :-)

Very nice. I like it already.

> > That ways new posters have less of a reason to not check up on past
> > posts before posting their own queries. A page outlining guidelines
> > for creating a good post would be a nice compliment.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityConduct

Ok, fair enough. This brings up another issue for however. Is it the nature
of wikis that they are not very surfing friendly? Ie. most of the content in
the wiki seems best got to via searching. The wiki as it stands now, doesn't
seem to promote leisurely browsing, this, I guess however, is subjective.