static page for F7 release, new directions

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 23:37:44 UTC 2007

Karsten Wade wrote:
> For the Fedora 7 release, we are going to be using a static set of pages
> for the front of fedoraproject.org.  For those of you who remember the
> Fedora Core 6 release and how hammered the Wiki was, you'll be happy
> that we can rest a bit easier for the coming release.
>
> Here is a *mock-up* using current styling, based on some existing
> conversations (source image below[1]); it is put forth for discussion on
> this list:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/~kwade/fedora/websites/images/main-page-redesign-0.1.png
>
> Really, it's just a starting point for conversation.  I expect all ya'll
> to speak up. :)
>
> We'll either deliver this as a hand-built static set of pages, or we'll
> use our spankin' new Plone instance[2] to output it.  Doing the latter
> is useful because we simultaneously work up our CSS for Plone.
>
> The static set of pages are:
>
> Main page
>   |=> Download via torrent
>   |=> Download from a mirror
>   |=> Fedora for end-users
>   |=> Fedora for developers
>   \=> Join Fedora
>
> The only other links on the page are:
>
>   [Docs] => docs.fedoraproject.org
>   [Wiki] => fedoraproject.org/wiki (or wiki.fedoraproject.org?)
>   Legal => fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal
>   Trademark Guidelines => http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines
>
> That is a reduction from 66 links (current front page) to 9.
>
> The page we design or some variant of it can become the permanent
> front-page for fedoraproject.org.  In that case, we'll work from the set
> of redesign ideas from FUDCon[3], and in that scenario the links on the
> page actually *reduce* to:
>
> Main page
>   |=> I want to do stuff with Fedora
>   |=> I want to get Fedora and stuff
>   |=> I want to join Fedora
>   |=> Legal
>   |=> Usage Policy
>   \=> Trademark Guidelines
>
> Something like that. :)

Excellent, I'd like to get this out there soon so that it can be google
indexed and such before the release.  I think initially we may want to
reference the wiki directly.  Just because so many have come to know
it.  I think just about everyone will be happy with a fresh minimal
landing page for Fedora though.

    -Mike