Tasks list and scheduling

Eric Kerby eric at epkphoto.com
Fri Jul 6 01:32:51 UTC 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> 1. Go to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join ... look at that page as a
> new contributor.  Does it help you find somewhere to take your
> interest?
> If not, what is missing from that page?

I liked this page when I first found it.  For me, at least, it did a
good job of broadly pointing me in the right direction and to the
right team(s).  I also think it is nicely visible, especially with
the http://fedoraproject.org/join-fedora.html page in the portal.

> 2. For each of the "interest areas" on that Join page, it should point
> you toward several other sub-project Join pages.  Is that clear or
> does
> it need fixing?

Again, clear (to me).

> 3. When on a sub-project page such as DocsProject/Join or L10N/Join,
> does that page help a new contributor find what to do?  Is it easy to
> figure out how to join?  Easy to figure out what to do next?  If not
> easy, why not?  What is missing?

I think DocsProject/Join and L10N/Join are both nicely filled out.
The DocsProject involves a bit more jumping around to other (nicely
filled out) pages, whereas the L10N join page puts more of the info
on a single page.  I personally prefer the L10N approach, but I can
see validity in the less intimidating approach of a shorter page that
links to fuller descriptions.

In both cases, though, they help the contributor along much more than
the Websites/Join page, which is sparse to say the least.  I think
the DocsProject does an okay job giving people something to do once
they sign up (with the "Familiarize Yourself" section).  The L10N and
especially the Websites pages could learn from Infrastructure's
approach, which points new contributors toward their Schedule page
that contains a large list of tasks that need attention.

Not to mention:
"6.  Participate in the regular  meetings."...hehe, that's a funny one.

> 4. Make this all into a list that shows:
>    * How well each ProjectName/Join page is doing its job
>    * What might be wrong with each page
>    * What should be done to fix it

To fix:
Hmm, well...I would say each team needs to have some place to keep
its todo and doing list.  For people that hop around teams, a
consistent way of keeping track of tasks would be nice, but I think
each team will prefer to define its own task tracking strategy.

Once tasks are placed somewhere, it should be advertised early in the
Join process.  It is good to tell potential contributors what skills
are desired on different teams, but it would be best to really show
them what is happening right now and where help is needed.

Does that help/make sense?

----
Eric Kerby
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EricKerby