Fedora spins draft

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 2 12:07:54 UTC 2007

Hi

So here is the draft which I believe should be published in fp.o and
linked from the get Fedora page. We might choose to use a drop down
selection (Desktop, KDE Desktop, Workstation/Server) which automatically
picks a mirror based on IP or randomly and provide a explanation in
another link which many people don't have to read hopefully. Mo (or
anyone interested), can you try doing a mockup with a drop down box? The
following is an explanation.

Fedora Spins
------------

Fedora includes several different spins, which are variations of Fedora
built from a specific set of software packages available in ISO images
(Better wording instead of ISO images?). Each spin has a combination of
software available to meet the requirements of a specific kind of end
user. All of them use the same central software repository.

Fedora provides Live bootable disk images for desktop users (should we
explain live images further?) that you can use to try out, demonstrate
or install to a hard disk or USB disk. There are CD and DVD size images
for x86 and x86_64 architecture respectively.

There desktop live images feature the simple and user friendly GNOME
desktop which and there are alternative images provided that show case
the powerful and feature rich KDE desktop.

The default "Fedora" spin has DVD images which includes more software
packages for workstation/server users available for x86, x86_64 and PPC
architecture.

Rahul