Improving wiki localization

Bart Couvreur couf at skynet.be
Mon Jun 25 12:05:07 UTC 2007

Op maandag 25-06-2007 om 08:34 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Samuel
Bizien:
> Le lundi 25 juin 2007 à 01:27 +0100, Dimitris Glezos a écrit :
> > O/H Samuel Bizien έγραψε:

> > > I prefer your version, i think it's more "clear".
> >
> > Cool. :-) We can start using the standard way of an included subpage then. Is
> > the short name "langs" OK? Maybe we should go with a more descriptive
> > "PageLanguages"?
> "Langs" is simple and clear.
>

> > Also, how are we going to separate the page name from the language? I prefer the
> > dot.
> >
> >  * Wikipage.pt_BR
> >  * Wikipage_pt_BR
> >  * Wikipage-pt_BR
> All translated wiki pages are under "ln_LN/" directory (fr_FR/, zh_CN,
> es_ES, pt_BR, el_EL, ...) for the moment. couldn't we keep this
> separation ? It's quite simple, and allows to translate even WikiNames.

Yeah, we *definitely* need to keep this structure.

> > If there are no objections, I can go on to put the CSS in screen-common (this
> > should be done prior of starting to use the standard). After this, we can tweak
> > the CSS however we like and affect all pages.
> Based on your version, I tried a new one, featuring "official" Fedora
> colors (from palette found on Mairin Duffy blog), a small icon with
> flags (is it useful ?), found on translate.fp.o, and a link to L10N page
> (to encourage people to translate to their language). I don't like
> colors (for my proposition), but other ideas can be kept.

Flags is a questionable thing, it's generally not advised to use flags
(I remember reading that in Fedora's case it was even not allowed), due
to political feelings etc.

> Regards
>
> Samuel.

I'm actually wondering about the use of *Dict-pages as well, didn't
these give people the ability to link the translated page to the English
original. I'm not sure here though.

Regards
Bart

--
Bart <couf at fedoraproject.org> <couf at skynet.be>
key fingerprint: 6AAB 544D 3432 D013 776D  3602 ADB6 6B2A D93F 0F93