Internet Explorer and Fedora website

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 15:54:22 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Hi Rahul,
>>
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Had a chance to look at http://fedoraproject.org from IE in a net
>>> cafe recently and the site looks completely misaligned.
>>
>> I thought that we had talked about this a couple of weeks ago and
>> you'd said you'd provide a screenshot?
>>
>> (Seriously, hard to fix if you don't know how it's broken :) )
>
> Screenshots would only help to fix this particular issue.

Sure, but isn't the point to get this particular issue fixed?

> This requires
> ongoing effort to make sure that any modifications made don't affect the
> browsers end users use quite often which is why I said I would send a
> mail here later which I did now.

> What would be ideal is folks who are
> involved in fixing the issues run IE and check against it before the
> commits go live.

Folks who actually use and care about IE see issues and they send
screenshots/problem descriptions here. Seems like a decent process to
me, and doesn't require folks who prefer not to use IE to use it (I
won't, I'm sorry.)

> It is not particular relevant whether you like IE or not as long as
> there is a significant percentage (33% is still 1/3. It was 50% a few
> weeks back)  of our visitors use that browser.

I doubt 33% of FPO's visitors use IE 5.5; in fact I would find it hard
to believe 33% of that 33% use it. :) IE 5.5 is notorious for its
security issues and rendering bugs and is very outdated at this point (I
remember 'fixing' pages to play nice with IE 5.5 6 years ago.) I think
supporting IE 6 and IE 7 only at this point is a quite reasonable rule
of thumb and I think we've made a statement to this effect on this list
before.

~m