Wiki slowness

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 20:47:59 UTC 2007

I've been examining more closely why wiki saves are slow.  At this time
it appears the issue is in notifications.  More to the point,
determining who to notify.  Our wiki supports regex for page
notifications.  This means that when you save a page, Moin has to
iterate over all users (currently about 10,000 registered) before it
knows who to notify.  Actually sending the notifications doesn't take
that long, but figuring out who to mail can take a long long time.  My
tests show between 30 and 95 seconds.  When I disabled notifications
saves dropped to 2-3 seconds.  I'm not sure what to do from here but it
looks like it will take a code change (I'm working with some guys in
#moin).  I'm continuing to look into it but wanted to let everyone know
what was going on.

    -Mike