Wiki slownessThat

craig thomas tux_mints at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 02:06:18 UTC 2007

Hi All,

--- Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:

> O/H Máirí­n Duffy έγραψε:
> > it might be easier for people to deal with one RSS
> feed rather than one
> > feed per page they are watching? So maybe they
> subscribe to pages using
> > the same mechanism, but in their preferences page
> when they login, where
> > it has all their subscriptions, they can also grab
> one RSS feed that
> > they can get info on all the pages they're
> subscribed to. I still think
> > one feed per page is also good - maybe someone who
> doesn't have a wiki
> > account wants to keep up with one page.l

After thinking about this and my initial positive
reactions, I'm not sure how much I like user level RSS
feeds. Mostly because I don't care for the page level
changes/subscribe thing.  For me, that's too narrow of
a scope and requires too much work, as a user.

If I want to know or learn what is happening in any
(or each) of Fedora's (sub)projects, why should i have
to know about and subscribe to various pages? what if
i pick a 'dead' page becuase I don't know any
better?...why cant i just watch via RSS a project's
change sets across _all_ their pages?

This, I feel, could connect interested people to
current information in a much more comprhensive
manner. Also, it appears to have the added benefit of
publishing the most often changed content/ fastest
moving project's information at *any* given moment in
time with _no_ user interaction required (that of
subscribing to new pages).

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  I am happy to help
implement whatever is decided regardless of what that
decision may turn out to be.

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/FeatureRequests/LimitedRecentChanges

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/FeatureRequests#head-58fb3cc3fc5907e114ab686538a81f4f5b7422d6

> I think currently there is a patch for subpages but
> no patch for Watchlist.
> Seems like a popular demand though.

Wow, those look like old RFE's, no!? I'm going to take
a closer look at the MoinMoin now, but do u know if
either of those pathces were accepted and are in our
version?

> FWIW, I think we shouldn't remove the notification
> via email. On the other hand,
> Toshio, I don't think I'd had a problem not to see
> who is notified for a change
> of mine. I'll even go on and say that this info (who
> is watching the page) might
> be considered "private info" for a user. :)

Well, I'd like RSS feeds,  but what do I care if we do
both ? :) however, wasn't the whole point of the
thread how slow the e-mail/user subscribe-list feature
was, and publishing an RSS feed was proposed as a
possible solution? if we don't axe the e-mails, we've
done nothing to solve our problem yet.  That's not to
say we can't have e-mail and RSS notifications.

Cheers,

--
Craig