Wiki slowness

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Mar 21 02:48:24 UTC 2007

O/H Máirí­n Duffy έγραψε:
> craig thomas wrote:
>> --- Máirí­n Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Maybe this is a silly idea but it would be nice if
>>> every wiki page's change log was an RSS feed that people could
>>> subscribe to. Then, rather than parsing through the entire list of
>>> users every
>>> edit to figure out who to mail, moin would just write out a history
>>> node in the RSS and whoever was interested in it and is subscribed would
>>> get it via whichever RSS mechanism they choose.
>>
>> I think that is a great idea. Doesn't MoinMoin support
>> RSS or syndication already?
>> If not, RSS xml is simple enough...if some one can
>> point me at the correct db.tables for the MoinMoin
>> page edit logs/changes, generating a script to write
>> xml/RSS files then fired via cron would be KISS, IMHO.
>> (And just drop the display list of 'subscribers'...if
>> they want it let em come get it via RSS).
>
> I was thinking about this a bit more -
>
> it might be easier for people to deal with one RSS feed rather than one
> feed per page they are watching? So maybe they subscribe to pages using
> the same mechanism, but in their preferences page when they login, where
> it has all their subscriptions, they can also grab one RSS feed that
> they can get info on all the pages they're subscribed to. I still think
> one feed per page is also good - maybe someone who doesn't have a wiki
> account wants to keep up with one page.

There are some feature requests for this. See:

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/FeatureRequests/LimitedRecentChanges
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/FeatureRequests#head-58fb3cc3fc5907e114ab686538a81f4f5b7422d6

I think currently there is a patch for subpages but no patch for Watchlist.
Seems like a popular demand though.

FWIW, I think we shouldn't remove the notification via email. On the other hand,
Toshio, I don't think I'd had a problem not to see who is notified for a change
of mine. I'll even go on and say that this info (who is watching the page) might
be considered "private info" for a user. :)

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/