Website update

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 15 08:11:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 09:00 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Mike McGrath wrote:
> >> Question: Could we make a "Fedora 6" version of this to stick out
> >> there right now and then switch to the F7 pages when they get out?
> >> It'd be nice to battle test some of this stuff before the actual
> >> release.  What do you think?
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/duffy/fedora/web/static-page-2.html
> >
> > It's all fc6-ified, what do you think?
>
> It does not look very good on small screen sizes, for 1024x768 you have
> basically to keep the browser full-screen for a correct display of the page.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NicuBuculei?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=website_shoot_small.png
>
> I know the argument about simple users with poor hardware and using all
> their application windows maximized, I guess I am in the minority using
> a larger screen size and smaller windows.

+1

I'm stuck on 1024x768 and I use Gkrellm in a column down the right side,
so I'm always a bit shy of the full width ... plus I don't always have
the browser maximized.

In my experience, many users don't shift from their default resolution.
Considering how often this is 1024x768, we should strike for a width
assumption that is a bit narrower.  Myself, I'm most comfortable with
900 wide.  People who are using 800 wide displays are used to broken
pages by now.  ;-P

> But how about making the width of the 3 thumbnails dynamic so they wrap
> if not enough space?

Shift them to vertical or make them smaller, perhaps.

> In the awstats page we don't have any data about screen resolution so I
> will use instead the numbers from my own Fedora website: 40.33% of the
> visitors use 1024x768, maybe only part of them are not keeping the
> browser full screen, but still is a big number.

Significant numbers.  I've seen similar before.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project