Re: jpg vs png

On 5/22/07, Thomas Chung <tchung fedoraproject org> wrote:
Does anybody know if there is any patent issue with jpg?
I know gif has patent issue that's why we should use png format.

"PNG format is a patent-free compressed format. We hope it will become
widely supported; then we will use it. We do have PNG versions of the
images on this server. "

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Looks like I found the answer myself.

"As of October 6, 2006, the U.S. patent's 20-year term appears to have
expired, and in November 2006, Forgent agreed to abandon enforcement
of patent claims against use of the JPEG standard.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jpg

Regardless, I think we should *standardize* our static pages with
"png" format only.
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung