KISS on fp.org

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 6 00:17:28 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Max Spevack wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Max Spevack wrote:
>>
>>> We need to make it AMAZINGLY EASY for the 90% of the users who are
>>> going to show up at fedoraproject.org on release day looking for the
>>> x86 Live CD or the x86 Installable DVD.
>>
>> I know that spins.fedoraproject.org exists basically to solve this
>> very problem.  But from what I understand that isn't quite ready for
>> release day, and so we need a stopgap measure.
>
> We actually did a great deal of work on making it easier to download
> Fedora.  We're down to 2 clicks this time (though you don't see that on
> the Fedora 7 page right now)  After clicking on "Get Fedora" they get
> this page:
>
> http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/web/en/get-fedora.html

This looks great. The difference between which ones are CD vs DVD images
is now clear. However we seem to have dropped the simple wording of what
i386 (which really should be just x86) or x86_64 or PPC means for the
non-technical users, Perhaps we should guide them towards x86 arch by
default?

Also it would be better to call them "GNOME Desktop Live Media" and "KDE
Desktop Live Media" and also add in a sentence or reference explaining
what a Live Media or Bittorrent is might be appropriate.

Rahul