Re: Counter to Fedora 8 release?

Máirín Duffy wrote:
Andrew Myers wrote:
Okay this might be a bit harder than I originally thought.  I was
originally thinking of doing something in Javascript but I think
Mairin's suggestion is awesome and I am still happy to have a go at
it.  I might be slow tho...

Okay, here's what I got (see attached files)

run counter.py like so:

python counter.py [input SVG] [number of days to update counter to] [output SVG[

so for example:

python counter.py fedora-countdown-banner.svg 37 fedora-countdown-banner.svg

Anyone want to run with this? hehe, maybe could set this in a cron job, then also write a python script to convert the svg to a png using inkex?

Oh haha, or if you could install inkscape, you could do:

inkscape -z fedora-countdown-banner.svg --export-png=fedora-countdown-banner.png

I'm attaching a modified version of the svg so you'd only need one font - Isabella - the rest of the fonts are converted to paths. Isabella is available here and is LGPL-licensed:

http://www.thibault.org/fonts/isabella/

So here is how this could work, sanity checks welcome:

- need a script to:
- call counter.py with the correct value, incrementing that value every time it's called
  - regenerate the svg
  - run the inkscape command above to export the svg to png

- need a cron script to call the above at say every night at midnight.

- need counter.py and the attached updated svg

- need to install the Isabella font

If the png is saved out to a directory accessible to the web then anyone wanting to display the counter could simply use that image.

Makes sense? Is this do-able?

~m