simple design and consistent look and feel

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 7 02:17:34 UTC 2007

Hi

After reading
http://dimitris.glezos.com/weblog/2007/09/07/mirror-manager-look-n-feel/
, I wanted to share a few quick thoughts.

While the mirror list that we have in place now does look much better,
we generally shouldn't exposing this to end users at all. EPEL comes in
top of Fedora in the mirror list filter and shows all the versions of
Fedora including the ancient versions which probably should move into a
  separate page for archived releases.

The mirror list filter should point people to the actively maintained
releases or just the latest release. Most users would use EPEL via the
repository release package and not download individual packages from the
mirrors and hence should be below Fedora.

The front page of Fedora should feature a prominent download button
leading to a easy choice of spins, architecture and region in simple
plain language.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download makes it much more approachable
  compared to a long list of mirrors where people not familiar with the
mirror structure is bound to get confused which does happen often.

It would also be better if all the sub domains had the same look at
feel. http://docs.fedoraproject.org still retains the old design for
example.

Rahul