feed'd front page ready

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:12:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 08:56 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Yeah, www.debian.org is a real attention getter.  And at 117 links on the
> main page its a wonder anyone gets anywhere.  Simpler == harder.  Simpler
> == better.  But without someone taking care of the website people are just
> going to constantly say "hey, this should be on the front page" with no
> one saying no.  Just last month a group, very losely related to Fedora
> (and as a group does not report to the board in any way) wanted to add a
> whole other banner system to the website on the main page.

Then what is the idea of having a website team if its not gonna decide what should be
in the website?. I think the website team is the one who moderate and decide about the website
the idea of letting anyone show what they think should be in the website is just to let the website team
see what people wants, but at the end the decision is made by the project.

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 14:47 +0000, richard-harrison at comcast.net wrote:
> > I'm taking my dog out of this fight seeing as A) I'm alone and B) don't
> > have the time to follow up on this.
> You're not entirely alone in your sentiments towards simplicity. I too prefer elegance to the fullest degree reasonable.
>
> This debate seems utterly related to usability and interaction design. Note that I am not a user interaction or design engineer; I'm a programmer and can implement anything that someone ELSE can design, but I know better than to pretend to be being gifted at layout stuff. Don't we have any design/interaction folks who can (be enticed, cajoled, coerced, etc. to) weigh in on the visual design and use-flow of the interface?

i think anyone here on the website team or who has joined the project
want a debian like website representing us. But i also think we dont
want a google like website representing us!. As i already said, we cant
just fill every white space with information, but we can provide what is
useful.

As richard said, we have some guys at the art team who can help us,
Mairin Duffy has prove to be a great website designer (sorry for all the
others who have participated in web design for fedora but i can only
remmember her name) So lets work along with them.