feed'd front page ready

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 16:01:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 10:12 -0500, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 08:56 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, www.debian.org is a real attention getter.  And at 117 links on the
> > main page its a wonder anyone gets anywhere.  Simpler == harder.  Simpler
> > == better.  But without someone taking care of the website people are just
> > going to constantly say "hey, this should be on the front page" with no
> > one saying no.  Just last month a group, very losely related to Fedora
> > (and as a group does not report to the board in any way) wanted to add a
> > whole other banner system to the website on the main page.
>
> Then what is the idea of having a website team if its not gonna decide what should be
> in the website?. I think the website team is the one who moderate and decide about the website
> the idea of letting anyone show what they think should be in the website is just to let the website team
> see what people wants, but at the end the decision is made by the project.

+1

That is the process I am following.  Bringing ideas here to debate,
showing mock-ups and working versions, fixing based on feedback, etc.

Sadly our UI designers are not as numerous as the rest of us geeks.
Maybe a simple rule to follow is to not make any real changes like this
without getting the weigh-in of Mairin, Mike Langlie, Bryan Clark, or
any of the other UI designers who might drop in here.

By putting such control in the hands of this community, we are trying to
attract more UI designers.  We're likely to be stuck with a
design-by-committee approach unless a strong enough personality, with
the right skills, and enough time to devote takes over and helps to
enforce a single vision.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41