feed'd front page ready

Richard Harrison richard-harrison at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 16:49:27 UTC 2008

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> "Simpler is better."  Yes on a child's tape player; no in a cockpit.
Simpler's better in a cockpit too - just enormously harder to achieve.

> At least having different content on the front page we can have
> some better idea of what people are and are not doing.
Permit me introduce the word "funnel" into the discussion (for those
previously unacquainted with the term in this context). The idea is that
a landing page provides links to the major subdivision of a site by
topical areas of interest. Each subdivision offers successively more
focused direction to sub-topics, funneling the visitor ever more
explicitly toward the desired content. This model does not preclude
alternative "quick-links" that provide direct access to the more focused
content for the more sophisticated or returning visitor. I appreciate
that having a "surf-ever-deeper" to find your goal model is unappealing
in some ways, but this brings us back to the interaction design issue. I
suspect that each of us owns preconceptions and biases as to the nature
of what visitors seek. However, these biases are based in personal
preferences not necessarily accurately reflective of what the majority
of visitors truly want or expect. On this list alone, over the past, few
days, I have seen more than one request that reflects a very limited
grasp of geek-dom as it relates to the usage of the website as a tool to
access the content. Newbies need things that we do not.

I still favor the involvement of REAL user-interaction design folks.  Is
there a hard deadline on "the final solution"?