questions from wiki migration mtg

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat Apr 26 15:56:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> Sorry I couldn't attend today.  Here's some stuff I dug from the IRC
> log:
>
> * UserName => User:username ... ouch
>   - anything we can do with mod_rewrite?
>     - some of these pages are well indexed and referenced
>   - any reason we cannot migrate all the wiki/UserName to an equivalent
> wiki/UserName and let people source that to fill out their User:username
> page.

Nothing exists that maps wikiname to username.  wikiname was a poor choice
and now we're paying for it :-/

>     - I understand that User:foobar has special meaning in MediaWiki and
> agree it is worth the hassle for those who want the functionality; do we
> have to force the feature on them and break their URLs?

They can do it on their own time.  This is something that I suspect will
just be a mess forever.  Some using User: some leaving it at their old
/wiki/WikiName.

> * How does l10n work with multiple wikis and propagating information
> from a canonical wiki (en_US?) or across?
>   - Manual?
>   - Automagic?

We'll have to see how others are doing it.  Both OpenSuse and wikipedia
use mediawiki to accomplish this.  It won't be part of the initial rollout
but hopefully will exist in the month or two after.

> * Ricky's question about centralizing on a specific type of markup.
> Since Docs worked with Mike on the script, following the Doc's markup is
> probably the best path to clean markup conversion:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WorkFlow#Wiki_to_DocBook_XML
>   ^-- step 2 has a list of specific anchors in WikiEditing and other pages
>
> These are the specific ways we use the Moin syntax.  It's not as much a
> subset but a noble consistency that gives us the best chance of fast
> search and replaces on the DocBook side.  In other words, when we get
> ''foo'' => <emphasis role='italic'>foo</emphasis>, we know that it's one
> of just a few DocBook tags, then can do iterations of manual
> search-n-replace on each file.
>
> * On HTML:
>         < ianweller> i notice that mostly html is just for headers and
>         such. should we create some sort of template for a standardized
>         project page header
>
> For any of those in the Docs.* namespace, those are a workaround for the
> DocBook converter in Moin.  Let's convert those in the script that are
> in the Docs.* namespace into the equivalent <h2>foo</h2> => == foo ==.
> (Added to ticket 31.)
>
> For HTML of IRC logs, maybe convert them to attachments and create a
> contents page? (Added to ticket 31.)

Exactly how attachments is going to work is still quite fuzzy in my head.
We can mass upload attachments, but I'm not totally sure I can predict
_where_ they'll end up.  So if we had something at
wiki/MyPictures/attachment

it might end up in

/wiki/uploads/5/42/MyPictures_attachment

I've not looked into this much but anyone with experience in mediawiki
attachments please do ping me and point me in the right direction, it'd
save some time.

	-Mike