Simple website

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 03:03:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
> As i said (i hope you actually read the whole message), ricky though it
> would be better to wait for some changes in the way the websites were
> handled so im waiting.

yeah, there's implementation issues.  So its not implimented.  Why not
have it ready so when we can implement it... it just goes right in?

> now, im thinking you are going to the branches and avoiding the main
> subject here. this is not about why my proposal isnt being used, but the
> way we are handling things here.
>
> I hope you dont take this personal, but i think you are one of the guys
> who are delaying the advance and progress of the website team. i know
> you help a lot and i give you credit for that. But you are always the
> one who is against new proposals and ideas.

I'm not against new ideas.  I'm against complication... I have a very long
memory and I remember what the wiki used to look like when it was our
landing page.  I couldn't find anything.  Now though, I can find stuff
pretty easily.  Even more then that we're getting to a point where there
are canonical pages.  IE: when you want fedora... go to
fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.

Don't think of me as "against progress".  Think of me as a
check and balance, and one that can be completely ignored.  Feel free to
reference this email:

I, Mike McGrath, know almost nothing about UI design except that it should
be left to UI designers, not engineers like myself.

But I remember what the first thing people used to see when they came to
the website:

#wget -U 'gimme' -qO- 'http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraMain?action=recall&rev=195'  | grep -c -i href
62

62 links.  Maybe thats good, maybe thats what we want. I don't think it
looks good, but that really doesn't matter at the end of the day.
Ultimately what I want is to be able to go to a websites team and say
"hey, we need this"  just like I do the art team, marketing team,
translators, docs team, etc.

	-Mike