CMS eliminators

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 22:35:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 13:48 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Sadly, one of the first issues in choosing a CMS will be what
> 'language' it is written in. I say sadly because this can also be the
> first of a long seige war where people who believe that embedded COBOL
> is the only way to write a CMS [isn't that what the C stands for] will
> bring it up every couple of weeks. In looking at a CMS, are there
> going to be certain 'languages' that are off the table from the
> beginning? (mod_cobol is probably one).
>
> A year ago, I would have said any CMS written in PHP would have had a
> tough slog onto Fedora infrastructure, but with Mediawiki I think that
> has been put to rest. But it would probably have to be shown that any
> PHP CMS could work with various known to be bad or tough to secure
> features turned off.

Security history and responsiveness is pretty high on the list.  I
presume we can express that to cover language, if needed.  We can put up
features such as, "Written on modern technology with a vibrant community
and likelihood of being popular beyond the next twelve months."

But, yes, I think the days of something being off the list entirely
because of language should be over.

One reason is the way popular tools and languages draw in more
contributors to Infrastructure and Websites.  By my count, we picked up
a couple of kick-ass contributors just in moving to MediaWiki.  I expect
if we pick another popular CMS, even PHP based :D, we'll see a similar
intake of new talent who are passionate about the $CMS and are ready to
be part of the larger Fedoraverse.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41