Meeting Log - 2008-12-01

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Tue Dec 2 02:26:05 UTC 2008

Ricky Zhou wrote:
> 22:10 < ricky> Somebody suggested that we have a link to http://fedoraproject.org/verify on the get-fedora pages.  I wonder where that should go...
> 22:10 < ricky> Hopefully, we can make it fit in with the friendliness of the page, if you know what I mean

Before we add another link to the page, can we get a bit more of the
context on how users are expected to interact with these sums? How often
do users typically use these? Is there any way to automate this
verification process? Isn't there an option to verify your media when
you go through anaconda? Is there a way we could provide only the
relevant sum after the user has downloaded an ISO? (for example, the
user clicks on the "Download Now!" link for the desktop live media, and
they get a direct link to the iso and in the background the page reloads
to a page with the sum for the desktop live media iso and instructions
on how to use it?)

Are these sums something we only expect more advanced users to care about?

> 22:11 -!- cmpahar [n=cmpahar at 83.212.62.250] has joined #fedora-meeting
> 22:11 < ricky> Also, at least one person mentioned that they had to search for a second to find the "show me all options" link.  Not sure if they were just too used to the old layout or if there's something we should change

This should take a second to find, as it's not meant to be front and center.

> 22:13 < ianweller> probably both good ideas.
> 22:13 < giarc> for verify, can we just put the link to it at the top, like this page:
> 22:13 < giarc> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all
> 22:14 < ianweller> the /verify link could go in the sidebar. "Verify your ISOs!"
> 22:14 < ricky> I was thinking that it could go under resources
> 22:14 < giarc> ooh, i like that

Where is resources?

> 22:52 < ricky> The two security-related pages we have are http://fedoraproject.org/verify and http://fedoraproject.org/keys
> 22:52 < rsc> drago01: and thinking of proprietary software, which users will *definately* install (Nvidia, ATI, Flash, acroread), there are other nice problems.
> 22:52 < drago01> I am using 64 bit on my servers, desktop and laptop no issues that are arch specific .. the memory/diskspace is the only valid one but newer hw have enough to deal with that
> 22:52 < ricky> We're already planning to linnk /verify on the get-fedora pages
> 22:52 < ricky> Do you think most users need info from /keys?
> 22:52 < rsc> ricky: AFAIK the claims were related to the security team itself or to the updates with security infos
> 22:53 < rsc> ricky: let me maybe re-verify until the next meeting.

~m