Fedora Spins makes my head spin... (fwd)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat Dec 13 16:01:55 UTC 2008

Forwarding on to our web team.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:08:12
From: Ricardo Mendonça Ferreira <ric at mpcnet.com.br>
To: admin at fedoraproject.org
Subject: Fedora Spins makes my head spin...

Hi there!

Excuse me, but is there a page in http://spins.fedoraproject.org/ that explains
what is each spin?

I've been a Fedora user since version 1 (up to version 6), and used it on
several computers. Now I wanted to give it a try again, and the possibility of
using an "official" Live CD (instead of going through the trouble of creating my
own) is very enticing.

The problem is: how am I supposed to know what is in each spin? The names are
cryptic, there are no links for documentation, no list of packages on each spin,
not even a brief description (or non-cryptic name) of each spin!

I believe that the spartan page is characteristic of the Linux ethos, but that's
also one of the reasons for it to not be so widely adopted... not to mention
that it doesn't make justice to the hard work of those who put effort and spent
time creating those spins.

I'll probably try the installation DVD using Qemu anyway, but I wanted to let
you know about this problem since I'm sure a lot of other people will think the
same: a good (even short) description of the spins would make them much, much
more useful and popular.

Thank you for your attention,

Ricardo.