Omniture & Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Feb 29 14:57:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:01:48 -0500
Jesse Eversole Jr <jeversol at redhat.com> wrote:

> Anyone who would like to know more about how our website tracking
> infrastructure works please feel free to contact me. It suffices to
> say that you will find it far superior to awstats having been a user
> of awstats in the past.

Hi Jesse.  The question of superiority isn't interesting.  Fedora is
very very committed to doing what it needs to get done using completely
opensource products when possible.  (I say when possible to avoid
derailed discussions about PC bioses and router firmwares)

The reality is that Fedora itself would not make use of any thing that
Omniture may learn from our site.  We're doing just fine with awstats,
and anything we feel is missing from awstats we'd work with the
upstream to provide that functionality.

However, if Red Hat as a corporation feels that they need to gather
some information about the Fedora websites, and that information is
only available through Omniture, and getting data to Omniture is only
possible through runtime java scripts, that's something else to discuss.

Can you explain what the java scripts are, how they work, what license
they're under, etc..?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)