Omniture & Fedora

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Feb 29 17:56:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Jesse Eversole Jr wrote:

> In answer to the question as to when Omniture might open source their hosting
> code I would say definitely not before they let Charles Manson out of jail. I
> could be wrong. I am genuinely interested in the movement toward hosted
> systems that are driven by proprietary software. Many of these systems are
> data collection and reporting systems that serve business needs. The data
> belongs to the subscriber of the service while the core software remains
> proprietary and belongs to the hosting provider. In many cases these systems
> provide open APIs for clients to customize their own installations. In reading
> the thread I am interpreting from some that service providers such as
> Salesforce should open source the software that drives their service business.
> Indeed I have heard calls for Red Hat to open source RHN. Google is a
> proprietary software service that makes money off indexing open source
> websites as well as the rest of the world. Does it make sense for an open
> source community driven website to collect revenue from banner ads pointing to
> its site through Google?

No it doesn't.

The board decided we could get some banner ads through
search.fedoraproject.org.  We don't run search.fedoraproject.org so the
decision was made that it was ok in that case as it would benefit Fedora
directly and we still would not be running closed source software on
Fedora Servers.

Its worth noting... its still not done and search.fedoraproject.org is
still not in use.

	-Mike