"Default" spin of Fedora

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:40:09 UTC 2008

> I also think hiding the 64-bit image is a bad idea, the vast majority of new
> computers is 64-bit-capable, the 32-bit version will have subpar performance
> on those for no good reason. AFAIK the kernel on the 32-bit live images isn't
> even PAE-enabled, so that also means no NX bit (bad for security) and only 3
> GB of RAM usable.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I don't understand why people keep saying we are hiding everything!?...
Right now we have no link on the front page promoting any media... so
are we hiding all of the current installation medias??

Even though we havent done that yet, many people have been able too
download fedora one way or another, with/without confusion, with/without
understanding what they are really downloading. By proposing a single
media in the front page that hopefully would work for new users and
would provide an easy way for them to try fedora, we want to delete that
"without knowing", "without understanding" part.

We are not hiding, I repeat... we are not hiding anything... all other
medias are still provided in the get-fedora section! and any user who
already know the difference between KDE and GNOME, or x86 and x86_64
wont have a hard time reaching that section of the website. (Just
imagine you grandmas trying to decide which one between Gnome based or
KDE based media download... wont it be easier for them if we tell them
"this is the easiest way to try fedora?")

This is begining to look like a KDE vs GNOOME flamewar and i dont think
this is the place to do it (if it still need to be done) as far as i
know GNOME IS the default desktop in fedora, if you want KDE to be the
official one please refer to FESCO or the Board (i dont really know who
to talk about this... but those two makes sense to me).

--
Juan Camilo Prada <jprada at fedoraproject.org>